Title: Conservation Specialist
This is a full-time, permanent salary position starting at $35,000 annually with vacation, health, and retirement benefits. The primary responsibility will be to implement forest and ecological management activities on Little Traverse Conservancy (LTC) nature preserves and working forest reserves and to assist with other stewardship projects. The Conservation Specialist will work under the supervision of the Director of Stewardship.
Primary Tasks will include:
- Lead or assist the stewardship team on a wide range of stewardship projects.
- Coordinate forest management activities, maintaining regular communication with consulting forester.
- Work with land protection staff in visiting and reviewing potential working forest reserve lands.
- Coordinate ecological monitoring and invasive species monitoring/treatment programs on LTC lands.
- Work with the Director of Stewardship to prioritize, design, develop, and carry out ecological restoration activities.
- Assist with assessing natural resources, features, and conditions and drafting management plans for new nature preserves as needed.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Represent Little Traverse Conservancy well professionally and in our community.
- Ability to work collaboratively with the team on changing priorities.
- Excel while engaging in a variety of projects simultaneously.
- Past experience leading and working with volunteers.
- Exceptional time management skills to meet deadlines and be self-starting.
- Using GIS to produce maps.
- Background understanding of silviculture principals, forest harvest methods, and forest mensuration.
- Moderate to advanced plant identification skills.
- Experience managing invasive plant species utilizing Best Management Practices for control and removal.
- Possession of MI pesticide certified applicators license or willingness to acquire.
- Organized with experience maintaining databases.
- Possess a degree in biological or environmental sciences, preferably with an emphasis on forestry or botany.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, February 19th, 2021.
Include Attn: Conservation Specialist in the subject line